Guest Room Energy Management System
With Salto Universal Energy Saving Device (ESD)
Energy usage is one of the highest operating expenses the hotel industry incurs and remains the second-largest cost hotels have to contend with, right behind labour. The cost of electricity has risen drastically in the past few years and will only continue to rise. On average, 90 percent of wasted electricity usage comes from the guest room, which can be your property’s most unmanaged resource (a guest room Air Conditioning/Heating (HVAC) system can represent 70-90 percent of that wasted electricity). Conservation is quickly becoming the cheapest and easiest solution to the problem.
The Salto Universal ESD system allows hotels to optimize energy consumption by turning off lighting and adjusting climate control systems when guests are not in the room for long periods of time.
The hotel HVAC and lighting systems receive room status (occupied/unoccupied) from the sensors and, as a result, activate or deactivate the room’s lights, air conditioning or heater while maintaining a comfortable temperature (which is configured and preset by management). The maximum level of efficiency is reached if there is also a door or window sensor to differentiate between the use of air conditioning and lighting, depending on whether the windows are open or closed.
The system components and Salto’s Universal ESD ecosystem uses infrared detectors and advanced wireless technology. Installation and set-up is very simple and reliable and can be accomplished in approximately 20 minutes, ensuring your guest rooms remain available for sale.
How it works
- Detects whether or not a guest room is occupied through information transmitted to the Universal ESD control module by the passive motion infrared detector and micro door sensor.
- When a guest room is occupied, the system allows the guest to have full control over all temperature settings and lighting.
- If the system detects an unoccupied guestroom, the operation becomes regulated by the control module, which initiates your customized energy-saving settings, i.e., temperature reduction, etc.
- Unoccupied guest room temperatures are pre-determined by hotel management, allowing control over electricity usage while maintaining maximum guest room comfort.
When the guest room is occupied
- Guest enters the room and the door micro switch ‘knows’ the room is occupied.
- Motion wireless detector detects movement.
- System is in “occupied” mode, so the guest has full control of heating, cooling and lighting.
When the guest leaves the room unoccupied
- Guest leaves the room and the door micro switch “knows” someone may have left the room.
- Motion detector “looks” for movement for the next 60 minutes (or a duration set by property management). If movement is detected, the system remains in “occupied” mode.
- If no movement is detected, the system goes into “unoccupied” mode, turns off the lights and sets the air conditioner or heater to a temperature preset by property management
System Features and Benefits
- Save 25-40% on air conditioning and heating costs
- Return on Investment (ROI) in as little as 6-24 months
- Does not compromise guest comfort
- Wireless and battery-operated plug-and-play installation, regardless of construction type
- Avoids unnecessary energy consumption when the guest is out (i.e., costly air conditioning cooling an empty room)
- 2 relay outputs – one for lighting and one for air conditioning
- DIN rail fitting hardware for easy installation
- Different configuration cards can configure the motion energy saver factory configuration to custom installation requirements
System Ecosystem & Architecture
- Flush-mounted motion detector/sensor or surface-mounted motion detector/sensor
- Universal ESD main control module
- Wireless door detector/sensor
- Wireless window detector/sensor
- Configuration proximity cards